- 1 The Cabinet of Ministers discussed changes to the law "On Higher Education"
- 1.1 The Cabinet of Ministers discussed changes to the law "On Higher Education"
- 1.2 How and when medical students will take the EGKE
The Cabinet of Ministers discussed changes to the law "On Higher Education"
The education quality assurance department will be able to work effectively only if its employees are clearly aware of their tasks and the latter are not declarative. The department cannot, for example, be tasked with formulating a free economic education policy to guarantee the quality of education. Such a policy can be guaranteed and determined only by the head and the academic council of the Free Economic Zone, the department can only be an effective tool. The department cannot be considered as an institutional subject of a certain system of counterbalances in the institution. By itself, the department can neither form nor implement an appropriate policy to guarantee the quality of education.
It is advisable to limit the tasks of the department to the development, implementation and monitoring of procedures to ensure the quality of education in the institution. Therefore, the department should be expected to develop effective procedures for ensuring the quality of education in the institution, advising on their implementation at the level of individual units of the Free Economic Zone and monitoring compliance with relevant procedures. The strategic task of the department together with the Academic Council and the head of the Free Economic Zone is to free lab reports writer create and implement a system of procedures to ensure the quality of education, which will be characterized by unity and completeness.
About development of procedures of quality assurance of education in ZVO
The system of procedures should cover a comprehensive four main components, or practices of quality assurance in higher education:
procedures for the formation and implementation of educational programs; procedures for ensuring the quality of teaching and research; procedures for evaluating learning outcomes; procedures to prevent academic dishonesty.
This approach is close to the vision contained in the analytical report mentioned above. However, there is an essential difference. The analytical report of the International Foundation for Educational Policy Research is quite focused on the student, student-centered learning is seen in it as a student-centered model of the entire higher education institution. Our vision focuses on both the student and the teacher as the main actors in the learning process. In fact, the development of any system in the field of education must be based on anthropocentrism, and the latter must fully anticipate both the learner and the learner.
The purpose of creating procedures to ensure the quality of higher education is to provide favorable conditions for research and teaching activities and training in higher education.
The development of procedures should be carried out primarily on the basis of analysis of the activities of individual units of higher education. That is why the functions of the department cannot be transferred to another department. The effectiveness of the department can be determined only during the external evaluation of the quality of education in the institution, as such evaluation means first of all evaluating the effectiveness of relevant procedures. Unsatisfactory assessment of educational quality assurance procedures in the institution is primarily an unsatisfactory assessment of the work of the institution’s department for educational quality assurance. Such responsibilities should be shared between the Academic Council and the Head of the Free Economic Zone.
About introduction of procedures of quality assurance of education in ZVO
In order to implement the relevant procedures for ensuring the quality of education in the Free Economic Zone, the latter must be pre-approved by the Academic Council, as provided for in paragraph 4 of part two of Article 36 of the Law "On Higher Education ". Approval of procedures by the Academic Council makes their implementation mandatory. The Department for Quality Assurance in Education is responsible for implementing the relevant procedures together with individual departments of the institution. At the stage of implementation of procedures, the cooperation of the department and the Academic Council is especially important. The implementation of procedures may be associated with their correction or significant refinement, which in turn will require appropriate decisions of the Academic Council. In fact, it is not necessary to perceive the system of procedures at least at the first stage as a complete constitution, the latter can only be sought to achieve in the course of complex and long-term development of procedures and their improvement. The Academic Council should be understanding of this process and accompany it with its decisions. The process of implementing procedures is at the same time a process of their adaptation and improvement.
About monitoring (control) of observance of procedures of quality assurance of education in establishment
The process of quality control of education in the institution is a systematic and continuous monitoring of compliance with procedures. It is difficult to effectively monitor the entire learning process, but it is possible to effectively monitor compliance with procedures. Based on the results of the monitoring, the management and the Academic Council of the Free Economic Zone should receive grounds for making appropriate decisions, in particular personnel decisions.
1. The internal system of quality assurance of higher education in a higher institution education should be developed as a system of procedures, which should be characterized by unity and completeness.
2. Institutionally, the internal system of quality assurance of education in higher education institutions should be maintained at the level of the Academic Council, which approves the procedures for quality assurance of education, and the quality assurance department, which develops appropriate procedures.
3. Unjustified and declarative expansion of the tasks of the department for ensuring the quality of education should be avoided. The activities of the department should be determined by three tasks: development, implementation and monitoring of procedures to ensure the quality of education in the institution.
4. The creation of procedures for ensuring the quality of higher education should be aimed at providing favorable conditions for scientific and pedagogical activities and training in higher education. The new procedures should help to build an anthropocentric model of higher education, which is built around the student and teacher as the main actors in the learning process.
5. The head of the department for quality assurance of education should be elected on a competitive basis by the academic council of the institution and introduced to the academic council.
6. Employees of the department for quality assurance of education should not ideally combine their work in the department with teaching in the same HEI, at least they can not work full time. Ideally, conflicts of interest and possible influence on department staff should be avoided.
7. The development of procedures, their implementation and monitoring provides for the independence of the relevant department and its staff from the heads of structural units. It is important that the department for ensuring the quality of education in the Free Economic Zone be accountable exclusively to the Academic Council and the Rector. Accordingly, the department for quality assurance of higher education should become a tool primarily for the academic council in ensuring the quality of education in the institution.
8. The effectiveness of the work of the department for quality assurance of education and the internal system of quality assurance of education in the relevant HEA can be objectively assessed only from the outside by an independent institution for evaluation and quality assurance of higher education.
Yuri Fedorchenko, Candidate of Philosophical Sciences, Independent Educational Analyst-Consultant, original on the Education Policy website.
universities of Ukrainehigher education reform
The changes will affect the quality of education, licensing of educational activities, accreditation of programs
The Cabinet of Ministers discussed changes to the law "On Higher Education"
The Cabinet of Ministers held a meeting of the working group on the implementation of the provisions of the law "On Education", which relate to higher education.
The meeting was attended by Minister of Education Lilia Grinevich, Head of the National Agency for Quality Assurance in Higher Education Sergei Kvit, President of the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences Vasily Kremen and rectors of some universities.
The working group considered the draft law "On Amendments and Addenda to the Law of Ukraine" On Higher Education "(concerning the improvement of educational activities in the field of higher education)" prepared by the Ministry of Education and Science.
The bill proposes changes to ensure the quality of higher education, licensing of educational activities, accreditation of educational programs, organization of the educational process, autonomy of higher education institutions, certification of recipients of higher education, training of scientific personnel and other issues.
Based on the results of the meeting, it was decided to finalize the relevant draft law taking into account the proposals made and submit it to the central executive bodies for approval.
As you know, the law "On Education" came into force in September 2017.
higher education reform
EGKE – a new comprehensive certification of specialized knowledge of medical students
How and when medical students will take the EGKE
The only state qualification exam is a new comprehensive certification of specialized knowledge of medical students. For the first time, Ukrainian students will take such an exam in 2019. The Ministry of Health of Ukraine provides an explanation of the peculiarities of the exam.
What is EDKI
In developed countries, the state conducts an exam to test the knowledge of students studying in medical institutions of higher education. Ukraine also has the following exam for medical students: KROK-1, passing in the 3rd year, and KROK-2 – in the final year. This exam is conducted and administered by the Testing Center at the Ministry of Health of Ukraine. From 2019, a comprehensive certification of student knowledge will be introduced – a single state qualifying exam (EDKI).
Why EDC is administered
The development of medical education is important for the reform of the medical sphere: the quality of medical services for patients in the future depends on the quality of medical education.
EDKI as a modern assessment tool checks the level of knowledge of students, which will facilitate the graduation of qualified doctors from higher education institutions. In general, the implementation of EDKI solves the following important tasks for the new quality of health education:
objective examination of professional knowledge of medical students: there is a test of theoretical and practical knowledge; integration of Ukrainian medicine into the world, because the components of EDKI test the universal knowledge that a doctor must have in any country of the world; reduction of corruption risks, as it is impossible to buy an international exam on the basics of medicine; promoting the graduation from university of a motivated and professional doctor who is no different from a professional doctor abroad.
Who and when will make EDKI: about components and stages of complex examination